Vidar Edvardsson, MD
Vidar Edvardsson is the Director of Pediatric Nephrology at the Children´s Medical Center, Landspitali University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and a Senior Lecturer in Pediatrics at the Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Iceland. He is the Director of Pediatric Solid Organ Transplantation at Landspitali University Hospital.
Dr. Edvardsson received his Medical Degree from the University of Iceland in 1987 and subsequently completed a two-year rotating internship in surgery, anaesthesia and pediatrics at the National Hospital of Iceland and internal medicine at the Vänerborgs-Trollhättans County Hospital in Sweden. He continued his postgraduate education in the US, where he completed a 3 year residency in pediatrics at the Medical College of Georgia, Hospital and Clinics in Augusta, Georgia in 1992, and a 3 year fellowship in Pediatric Nephrology at St. Christopher´s Hospital for Children, in Philadelphia, in 1995. Dr. Edvardsson´s research focuses primarily on kidney stone disease, chronic kidney disease and pediatric hypertension. Dr. Edvardsson has been a Board Member of the Icelandic Renal Association since 2004 and a member of the Editorial Board of Pediatric Nephrology since January 2009.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Gudbjartsson DF, Holm H, Indridason OS, Thorleifsson G, Edvardsson V, Sulem P, de Vegt F, d'Ancona FC, den Heijer M, Franzson L, Rafnar T, Kristjansson K, Bjornsdottir US, Eyjolfsson GI, Kiemeney LA, Kong A, Palsson R, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K. Association of Variants at UMOD with Chronic Kidney Disease and Kidney Stones-Role of Age and Comorbid Diseases. PLoS Genet. 2010 Jul 29;6(7):e1001039.
- Heidarsdottir R, Arnar DO, Skuladottir GV, Torfason B, Edvardsson V, Gottskalksson G, Palsson R, Indridason OS. Does treatment with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent atrial fibrillation after open heart surgery? Europace. 2010 Mar;12(3):356-63.
- Erlingsdottir A, Indridason OS, Thorvaldsson O, Edvardsson VO. Blood pressure in children and target-organ damage later in life. Pediatr Nephrol. 2010 Feb;25(2):323-8.
- Edvardsson VO, Palsson R, Indridason OS, Thorvaldsson S, Stefansson K. Familiality of kidney stone disease in Iceland. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2009;43(5):420-4.
- Sequence variants in the CLDN14 gene associate with kidney stones and bone mineral density. Thorleifsson G, Holm H, Edvardsson V, Walters GB, Styrkarsdottir U, Gudbjartsson DF, Sulem P, Halldorsson BV, de Vegt F, d'Ancona FC, den Heijer M, Franzson L, Christiansen C, Alexandersen P, Rafnar T, Kristjansson K, Sigurdsson G, Kiemeney LA, Bodvarsson M, Indridason OS, Palsson R, Kong A, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K. Nat Genet. 2009 Aug;41(8):926-30. Epub 2009 Jun 28.
- Thorir Svavar Sigmundsson, Runolfur Palsson, Sverrir Hardarson, Vidar Edvardsson. Resolution of proteinuria in a patient with X-linked Alport syndrome treated with cyclosporine. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2006;40:522-5.
- Olafur S. Indridason, Sigurjon Birgisson Vidar O. Edvardsson, Helgi Sigvaldason, Nikulas Sigfusson, and Runolfur Palsson. Epidemiology of kidney stones in Iceland: a population-based study. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2006;40(3):215-20.
- Edvardsson V, Elidottir H, Indridason OS, Palsson R. High incidence of kidney stones in Icelandic children. Pediatr Nephrol. 2005 May 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stefansson Thors V, Kolka R, Sigurdardottir SL, Edvardsson VO, Arason G, Haraldsson A. Increased frequency of C4B*Q0 alleles in patients with Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Scand J Immunol. 2005 Mar;61(3):274-8.
- Indridason OS, Palsson RP, Edvardsson V. The role of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in clinical medicine. Icelandic Medical Journal 2003; 89: 199-211
- Stefansson Thors V, Kristinsson JR, Laxdal Th, Jonmundsson G, Edvardsson V, Sigfusson, Briem H, Haraldsson A. Henoch-Schönlein purpura, patients admitted to Landspítali-University Hospital 1984-2000. Icelandic Medical Journal 2002; 88: 807-11
- Edvardsson V, Palsson R, Olafsson I, Hjaltadottir G, Laxdal T. Clinical features and genotype of adenine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency in Iceland. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001 Sep;38(3):473-80.
- Edvardsson VO, Flynn JT, Deforest A, Kaiser BA, Schulman SL, Bradley A, Palmer J, Polinsky MS, Baluarte HJ. Effective immunization against influenza in pediatric renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant. 1996 Dec;10(6 Pt 1):556-60.
- Edvardsson VO, Kaiser BA, Polinsky MS, Baluarte HJ. Successful living-related renal transplantation in an adolescent with Down syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 1995 Jun;9(3):398-9.
- Edvardsson VO, Kaiser BA, Polinsky MS, Palmer JA, Quien R, Baluarte HJ. Natural history and etiology of hyperuricemia following pediatric renal transplantation. Pediatr Nephrol. 1995 Feb;9(1):57-60.
- Vidar Edvardsson, Runolfur Palsson. Adenine phosphoribosyltransferase Deficiency and 2,8-dihydroxyadeninuria. In: Moriwaki Y (ed). Genetic Errors Associated with Purine and Pyrimidine Metabolism in Humans: Diagnosis and Treatment. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 2006: 79-93.